For access to a Word file of Tree Definition Stages and other useful files, sign up for the Yahoo group, "Montessori By Hand," using the purple button on the sidebar. This group will serve as our file archive! Questions? Email Meg at montessorirevolution(at)gmail(dot)com.
This pouch is designed for definition stages material. Each picture
card and definition card is 5 1/2" x 5 1/2"
1. Cut a piece of fabric 20 1/2" x 23 3/4"
2. Fold in half lengthwise with right sides together and pin.
3. Sew a 1/2" seam across the 3 raw edges, leaving a few inches open
on one of the short edges.
4. Trim the corners and turn fabric right side out.
5. Fold the opening under 1/2" and press around all edges.
6. Topstitch around all edges.
7. Fold the bottom long edge up 3 1/2" and press.
8. Make small pocket for labels:
1. Cut a piece of fabric 5" x 2 1/4"
2. Fold in half with right sides together.
3. Sew 1/4" seam on the two longer edges.
4. Trim corners and turn right side out.
5. Turn raw edge under 1/4" in and press.
6. Topstitch all around.
9. Measure 6 3/4" from the right edge of the large pouch and center
the small pouch on the bottom fold of the large pouch.
10. Pin the small pouch in place and sew the side and bottom edges to
form a pocket.
11. Fold up the bottom 3 1/2" and sew both edges.
12. Measure 6 1/4" in from the left edge and place a pin as a marker.
Place two pins: one near the top edge and one near the bottom edge.
13. Measure 6 1/4" from the first pins and place two more pins as
14. Measure 6 3/4" from the last set of pins and place two more pins.
15. Measure another 3/4" and place pins.
16. Sew seams at each set of markers.
17. Insert picture cards in the left most pocket, the definitions in
the next pocket, the definitions with missing terms in the next
pocket, the term labels in the small pocket, and the definition
strips in the right most pocket.
17. Fold the pouch and mark placement for buttons.
18. Sew buttons.
19. Tie a ribbon on one of the buttons to make a loop large enough to
fit across the other button.